Lady Ridgeway Hospital serves as the national referral center for pediatric care for Sri Lanka. It also serves as local pediatric hospital for the population in and around Colombo city for minor ailments.
The Outpatient Department (OPD) and the Accident Service Department of this hospital is open for services 24 hours a day for 365 days. Out patient clinics conducted by the relevant consultants of inpatient units and visiting consultants of the OPD maintain a continuous link with patients discharged from their units.
There is also an emergency treatment unit, diarrhea treatment unit and immunization clinic which operate in the OPD to improve the quality of care. The outpatients’ attendance is over one million per year and about 50,000 children are immunized annually.
Currently the hospital has six general paediatric Medical and four general paediatric Surgical units. It further has specialised units in Cardiology and Cardiothoracic surgery, Orthopaedic, Rheumatology and Rehabilitation, Dermatology, Ophthalmology, Psychiatry, Neonatology, Intensive Care, Orthodontics, Maxillo-Facial Surgery, Plastic Surgery, Burns and ENT Surgery.
In addition to these Radiology, Pathology, Haematology, Microbiology and Anesthesiology departments headed by senior consultants provide quality, assistance to both inpatients and outpatients.
1895, January 17 - Sir Arthur E. Havelock, Governor of Ceylon laid the foundation stone for a 50 bed hospital, facing the Maradana Road, Borella. With the generosity of the public, the sum of Rs. 46,000 was raised and the construction was completed the following year.
1896, October 12 - The first lady, Lady Lina Ridgeway ceremonially opened the "Lady Havelock Hospital for Women and Children", in honor of the former governor's wife, who rendered her fullest support and encouragement towards this venture.
1909, February 26 - Sir Henry Edward McCallum, the Governor of Ceylon laid the foundation stone for construction of a separate block for children. The building was erected with public subscriptions an the former First Lady, Lady Ridgeway had been energetic in fund raising for this project.
1910, September 27 - Ceremonial opening of the new section, the 'Lady Ridgeway Block for Children'.
1937 - The first qualified Paediatrician for the hospital, Dr. L. O. Abeyaratne was appointed as the 'Physician and the Medical Officer in-charge' of the hospital.
1950 - After Independence in 1948 the Ministry of Health adopted plans to progressively reconstruct the LRH. The first wing of the new hospital containing new wards was opened in 1950
1954 - The Lady Havelock Hospital ceased to exist when the nearby Castle Street Hospital for women opened, but Lady Ridgeway Hospital went on from strength to strength.
1957 - Out Patient Department of the LRH was opened
2000 - A nine-storey new wing of the hospital, funded by the Chinese government was opened. (More details...)
LRH news and events:
A B C D E F G H