This unit was established in year 2012 under the first certified Paediatric Endocrinologist of the country. We cater for children with hormone disorders, diabetes and obesity. This is the largest referral center of the country which receives at least 1000 patients of hormone diseases, 100 patients with diabetes, approximately 200 patients with obesity each year who are referred from every corner of this country. This unit function as a day unit where patients can stay until special investigations or treatment is done without admitting to a ward. Every patient receives state of the art investigation and treatment options comparable to other developed countries with updated knowledge through continuous medical education Patients are given a hot line to communicate with the specialist/unit around the clock.
This is the training Centre for Post graduate Paediatric endocrinology training. There are numerous research publications for its credit. We provide expert opinion for the management of children with endocrine disorders/diabetes in other units where necessary. Readily accessible staff is happy to book the appointments for the patient’s convenience. Our mission is to provide best possible care for the patients who attend the unit.
The team consist of Paediatric Endocrinologists 2-3 senior registrars, two senior house officers and 2 nurses.
Dr. Navoda Atapattu
Consultant Paediatric Endocrinologist
Dr. Sumudu Seneviratne
Consultant Peadiatric Endocrinologist
Services provided by the Endocrinology and Diabetes unit Room 36. We have general endocrine clinic form Monday to Friday and Saturday is dedicated for children with diabetes.
|Name of Consultant||Speciality||Ward||Clinic Room||Day of the week|
|Dr. Navoda Athapaththu||Consultant Peadiatric Endocrinologist||Paediatric Endocrine Unit||36||Monday to Saturday
|Dr. Sumudu Seneviratne||Consultant Peadiatric Endocrinologist||Ward 01||22||Monday
|Ward 01||2nd Wednesday (MDT Clinic for DSD)
|22||Thursday (Obesity/ Diabetes Clinic)
The services can be discussed under following categories
- Endocrine Disorders
- Childhood Diabetes
- Childhood Obesity
- We receive the above categories of patients either from a Paediatrician working in the periphery, from OPD or from the clinicians working in the hospital.
- In addition, there are patients sent from private sector seen by the consultant Endocrinologist Dr Atapattu
- Majority of the patients undergo the specific investigations related to the condition on the same day they register in the clinic and subsequent tests are also planned accordingly. They do not have to go to a separate unit for the blood tests.
- Certain medications are administered if necessary in the clinic on the same day they come for clinic follow up.
- Special tests are arranged to be done from the clinic as and when necessary.
- All the counselling and multidisciplinary follow-ups are arranged.
- In case a child needs admission for further investigations or management, they are admitted in a Paediatric unit (ward24, 9 and 2). However, the responsibility is taken by the endocrinologist and make sure child gets the best care.
- Patients with diabetes get the necessary counselling on self management training on insulin injection technique take place within the endocrine unit.
- Patients with obesity get the counselling sessions as well as screening for complications.
- Written information leaflets are prepared for many disorders as a communication method
- Education on diabetes and prevention of obesity are discussed in details with the help of printed and electronic media. Annual diabetes day program is the major event on educating children and parents.
- During the COVID 19 period we communicated with patients and send medications that can be sent via post.
Post graduate training in Paediatric endocrinology take place in this unit. So far 3 completed training and 5 are in the training process. In addition, pre MD training on paediatric endocrinology for 12 trainees are provided every 6 months. Adult endocrinology trainees come for 2 months short appointment and undergo extensive training in the unit. Participate as a resource person in CME activities.
All trainees are encouraged to do at least one research and few audits during their work. They have published their work in many journals and presented their work in international conferences. Participated in an International multicenter double-blind control study on a new drug combination for Paediatric patients with type 2 diabetes.