Paediatric ENT Surgery
The peadiatric ENT unit of LRH was established in the 1970s. Since then it has grown up to a multi consultant unit and function as a training center for medical post graduates in ENT, paediatrics and recently for paediaric radiology.
The unit has a well established laboratory for audiology and also supported by a team of speech therapists. The first state sector cochlear implantation programme and bone anchored hearing aid programme was established in the ENT unit of LRH and all these procedures are carried out free of charge. Difficult paediatric airway problems from all over the country are referred for specialised management to this unit. this unit also runs home tracheostomy care programme free of charge to patients with longterm tracheostomy. Home Tracheostomy Programme is where the equipment is donated by well wishers or provided by the hospital and care givers are trained to look after the tracheostomised child at home.
We hope to develop a Sleep laboratory and to have facilities for digital assessment of swallowing in the future.
The work force consists of 2 consultant ENT surgeons, PG trainees, Medical Officers, 4 Audiology Technicians, 8 Speech therapists, a Nursing sister, Nursing Officers and supportive staff.
Dr. A.D.K.S.N. Yasawardhana
Consultant ENT Surgeon
Dr. Mihiri Rubasinghe
Consultant ENT Surgeon
ENT unit comprises of a 32 bedded ward (Ward 12), a fully fledged paediatric audiology laboratory and specialised paediatric speech therapy unit.
- Providing care for little children with Paediatric ENT emergencies 24 x 7
- Care provided for other paediatric ENT problems mainly comprising of care of paediatric child deafness, complex paediatric upper airway problems including home tracheostomy care
- Management of sleep disordered breathing
- Management of ENT aspects of various syndromes
- Provision of hearing aids, cochlear implantations
- Speech therapy for paediatric speech disorders and management of paediatric swallowing disorders
Testing facilities include…
- Paediatric audiology testing
- Pure Tone Audiometry
- Impedence Audiometry
- Visual Reinforcement and Play Audiometry
- Evoke potential audiometry (ABR)
- Otoacoustic emission testing
- Aided thresholds testing on hearing aid and cochlear implant users
- Swallowing assessment with Fibreoptic Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallowing (FEES) and Video Fluoroscopic Swallowing Assessment (VFSA)
- Neonatal Hearing Screening
- Evaluation of Paediatric upper airway
Training of medical, nursing, and PG trainees ENT, Paediatric and Paediatric Neurology, Pulmonology and Radiology