Administration & Organisational Structure
The Administration consists of the Director, Deputy Director, Medical Officer Planning, Medical Officer Quality Management Unit, Medical Officer Health Informatics, Chief Accounting Officer, Administrative Officer, Chief Nursing Officer. Under the top officials are Public Health Management Assistants and supportive staff assisting to carry out the tasks. Chief leadership of the hospital lies in the hands of the Director.
Dr. G. Wijesuriya – MBBS, DTCD, MSc (F&N), MSc (Med. Admin)
Dr. H. S. J. Sepanapathi – MBBS (Col), MSc (Med. Admin),
The subdivisions are as follows
Planning & Development Unit (PDU)
Established in the year 2015 it is the unit responsible for planning of all operational activities of the Hospital directly under the supervision of the Director assisting Director in all endeavours. Focal point / coordinator with the central level planning unit (Ministry of Health).
Supporting factor for the administration to assess performance of different units within the institution and identify service gaps that need improvement. One of the main duties is to prepare and forward Annual Action Plan and prepare the Performance report. Coordinate and organize stake holder meetings, disseminating hospital related statistics as and when necessary. Coordinate hospital development projects and donations. Responsible for the hospital HR management, planning and institutional cadre developments. Maintain databases with regard to Hospital Inventory items, Human resources, Expenditure/ financial reports of major projects, list of hospital based research conducted. Key role in revamping hospital website.
Special Projects done by the Planning & Development Unit
- During COVID times was appointed as the focal point for Lady Ridgeway Hospital by the Director LRH. Several systems were implemented under the guidance of the Director and with the involvement of infection control unit, Matrons, PHI, OPD and other units of the hospital, to ensure the safety of the patients as well as our own staff.
- Three Stage Triage system together with Matrons
- Clinic management system – done together with HIRU, Health Education Unit in collaboration with the Dialog Axiata PLC through 1390 Hotline.
- Distribution of Pharmaceuticals to the doorstep of the patients during Lockdown – together with the Pharmacy department and the clinic section of the OPD.
- Safeguarding patients and staff from the COVID-19 infection together with the Infection Control Unit.
- Developed the Master Plan of the hospital and currently in action to take it forward to provide infrastructure for all Paediatric specialities thus to fulfil the Vision of the hospital.
- Revamping the hospital website and IT solutions for the hospital.
Quality Management Unit (QMU)
Quality Management Unit was started in the end of the 2013 during the tenure of the Dr. Rathnasiri Hewage as the Director. Aim of the establishment of Quality Management Unit was to improve the quality of the services rendered by the Lady Ridgeway Hospital. With the Vision of LRH in mind we organized several training programmes such as improving communication skill of the staff with the support of the Quality Directorate and the National Quality Secretariat.
Projects done by the Quality Management Unit
- Organized work improvement teams (WITs/quality circles) in units and wards
- Reorganized OPD to improve the quality of the service
- Reorganized the kitchen to improve the hygiene and the quality of the service
- Reorganized the Laundry to provide regular and timely supply of clean linen.
- Reorganized the canteen to create customer friendly environment.
- Redesigned the garden to create an enjoyable environment for the children
- Organize a dengue prevention programme with the support of PHI
- Reorganized the garbage collecting centre with the support of PHI
- Organized several music programmes to mitigate the stress of the staff of the hospital.
- Organize a local fruits planting programme with the support of the Deputy Director.
- Renovate the playing area with the support of the Deputy Director
- Organize a monthly Shramadana Programme with the backing of the Doctors Welfare Society
Health Information and Resource Unit (HIRU)
Lots on initiatives have been taken place in relation to information management since 2014 in LRH. Fiber networking of entire hospital was carried out in 2015 with a plan of lots of activities. Today with MSc Qualified Medical Officer, Graduate in Information Technology and trained supportive staff member with Post graduate IT trainee, the Health Information and Resource Unit is doomed and geared to navigate LRH through unchartered territories of Information Technology to make LRH experience a convenient one for the patients and the staff.
Projects done by the Health Information & Resource Unit
- Hospital Information Management System (HIMS)
- Picture Archiving and Communication System (PACS)
- Cardiology Information System
- Multidisciplinary Cleft Lip & Palate Clinic
- Medical Supplies Division Information System (Expansion of MSMIS)
- Queue Management System at the Out-Patient Department
- ICU Management System at Cardiothoracic ICU
- Blood bank management system
- Clinic Management System together with Planning Unit
- Patient Registration System – for admissions
Projects to be done in the future
- Extension of Patient Registration System – for clinics
- Laboratory Information Management Systems
- Computerized Physician Order Entry (CPOE)
- Integrating pharmacy to the HIMS
- Updating the hospital website
Responsible for all the financial tasks of the Hospital ensuring the allocations provided by the Health Ministry from the consolidated fund and other financial sources are properly manged and direct earnings to the Government fund and carry out purchasing and ensure tender procedures are according to the Procurement Guideline and Financial Regulations. Finance Unit Consists of the Salary Division, Purchasing and Supplies Division, Accounts Division, Book keeping Division, Condemning Division, General Stores and Shroff. The team includes the Finance Assistant and ICT Assistants, Development Officers & Public Health Management Assistants.
Administrative Officer – Mr. P. G. Wijesinghe
The engine of the hospital, the administration unit takes care of all the operational activities of the hospital from legal aspects, procurement to carrying out all procedures according to the establishment code, maintaining of personal files, taking care of construction, transport, electricity, water and other amenities and infrastructure. The tangible assets of the hospital belong to the Administrative Officer.
Office of the Chief Nursing Officer
“The Lady with the Lamp” Florence Nightingale stated that nursing “ought to signify the proper use of fresh air, light, warmth, cleanliness, quiet, and the proper selection and administration of diet – all at the least expense of vital power to the patient.” She also stated “To be ‘in charge’ is certainly not only to carryout the proper measures yourself but to see that everyone else does so too”. Fulfilling the vision of Nightingale, from the beginning of the hospital Chief Nursing Officer and the Nursing staff plays a major role in carrying out the tasks of the hospital. Responsibility of Administration of the Nursing staff lies in the hands of the Chief Nursing Officer. She is also responsible in maintaining Health care promotion and conduct health Education Programme in the Institute and organize necessary arrangements and implementation for their welfare.